Skip to main content

Easy Everyday Steak with Even Easier Steak Sauce

Easy Steaks with Even Easier Steak Sauce

4 modest steaks*, 6-7 oz. each, 1 to 1.5" thick
2 green onions, thinly sliced, whites and greens separated
3 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp wine vinegar (sherry, white wine, red wine, etc.)
Salt & pepper
Olive oil

Remove the steaks from the refrigerator 30-40 minutes before you plan to cook them. (So if you started baked potatoes 20 minutes ago, now is the time to take the steaks out.) Dry them off with paper towels -- gently, use a patting motion -- and salt and pepper them liberally. Set them aside while they come up to temp.  Maybe now is a good time to slice up the green onions and measure the other stuff.

When the steaks are at room temperature, combine the ingredients for the sauce (whites of the onions, ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce, Worcerstershire, wine vinegar, and a pinch of salt and pepper) in a bowl or measuring cup. (I use my Pyrex measuring cups a lot. They have a handy spout.) Whisk to combine.

Put two tablespoons of olive oil in a non-stick pan**. 

Bring the olive oil to temperature over high heat, then reduce the heat of the burner a couple of notches. (From 9, for instance, down to 7 or 6.5) Using tongs, add the seasoned steaks to the hot pan. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until medium-rare. Or until they're browned and cooked to your preference. Some people like steaks rare. Some like 'em burnt. If you just want medium rare, though, 8 to 10 minutes over a medium-high heat.

Remove the steaks from the pan and let them rest on a plate or cutting board. Turn down the burner to 5.

To the hot pan with steak-flavored drippings, carefully add the steak sauce fixings, which you've just whisked a couple of times to make sure everything's still all mixed up. Stir it as soon as it's in the pan, using a spoon or spatula to scrape up the drippings and steak bits. This part goes pretty quickly because the pan is hot and wide, so the sauce should thicken up quickly. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.

After the steaks have rested for five or six minutes, you can slice them against the grain for serving. Fan out the slices and drizzle a little sauce over them, and garnish with the leftover green onion slices. Pretty and tasty!

Serve with baked potatoes and salad; finish with a scoop of simple chocolate ice cream or leftover lemon icebox pie, and it's like your whole day has just been rescued.



*This recipe uses every day steaks -- nothing fancy, nothing super expensive, if you don't want to spend a fortune. If you do want to spend a fortune, look for another recipe blog. This is not special occasion steak cookery -- this is "coronavirus sucks and I just lost a friend because she hates science," Thursday night, "let me console myself with beef but not go crazy" cookery. Any nice little chunk of beef will do. Of course, if you just want to use tenderloin, it's really good with this sauce, too. 

**Cast iron is non-stick if it's properly seasoned and maintained. Otherwise, there are a lot of very affordable non-stick pans at Walmart and Target and even the Dollar Store. No, they won't last 2 years. They're almost cheap enough to be disposable, anyway.

My husband Wesley says that a glass or two of Carmenere wine helps this dish really erase the day, but he also recommends a Budweiser if you're so inclined. Let me know which you prefer!

--Bay

Comments

  1. This sauce sounds amazing! You've got the tanginess of ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar, then you put in brown sugar? I love such complexities! I'll have to try this out. With merlot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UPDATE: I made this and it's wonderful! Far better than any bottled steak sauce. Thank you for sharing your secrets!

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious! I had to come and check out your blog after listening to the podcast this evening. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A cruddy little kitchen, a lifetime of loving food

I was looking for a recipe. You know, like everyone else every day everywhere in the world, I wanted something tasty for dinner. I had salmon. I had old tried-and-true salmon recipes I've used happily in the past. I just wanted something different. So I Googled "honey bourbon salmon." This is a thing I've seen on menus. Sounds great. I can make that, can't I? I have honey, I have bourbon; I have salmon. I can make this! Then I spent an hour slogging through a half dozen recipe blogs with long stories, beautiful photographs, freestyle poetry singing the praises of farm-raised salmon -- or wild-caught salmon -- or canned salmon -- and all of it took ten to fifteen minutes to load out here in the boonies because all of those popular, beautiful recipe blogs were monetized. Ads flashed. Clickbait beckoned. Video players popped up and disembodied hands cracked eggs into stainless steel bowls. I scrolled down, ever downward, ever onward, trying to get past the homilies a

Lumpy Chicken Salad

Lumpy Chicken Salad 2 to 2.5 cups cooled rotisserie chicken, pulled off the bone and chopped into 1/2" dice 3/4 cup light mayonnaise 3 to 4 Tbsp Dijon mustard 2 to 3 Tbsp light Italian dressing 1/2 cup small diced celery 1/3 cup red grapes halved (quartered if they're very big) 1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped pecans 1/3 cup Honeycrisp apple, peeled and 1/2" diced scant 1/4 cup green onion, greens sliced diagonally Salt & pepper to taste Optional: diced red pepper, dill pickle relish Combine the ingredients, chill for 2-3 hours, serve. Delicious and easy! My friend Erik reminded me today that it's too dang hot to cook in the kitchen right now, and he is absolutely right. When July takes over the Cruddy Little Kitchen, I take the toaster oven outside to the porch for anything that needs to be baked. I run an ugly orange extension cord out there and use electric tape to try to make sure nothing gets electrocuted if a thunderstorm blows the rain sideways toward the toaster ove

Homemade Cranberry Sauce

Cranberry Sauce  12 oz. fresh cranberries, washed and drained 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar 1/4 to 1/3 cup water 1 1/2 cinnamon sticks 1/2 tsp ground allspice 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg The zest and juice of one small-to-medium orange Pick through the cranberries carefully to remove the squishy/bad ones. Rinse and drain. Combine cranberries, sugar, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, and water in a medium pot. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to simmer; cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Add the orange juice and zest, then allow the sauce to cool before serving at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers; sauce will be good for 10-12 days. I never even liked cranberry sauce until I tried this recipe. Neither did my husband. My mother-in-law used to send us searching for an orange cranberry relish at grocery stores all over Knoxville -- I only found it twice, but when I did find it, I bought her three containers of it.  This recipe is so good, I cannot imagine having Thanksgiving witho