Skip to main content

Honey Bourbon Salmon recipe

Honey Bourbon Salmon
⅓ cup bourbon
⅓ cup honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 ½ tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon brown or whole grain mustard
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 medium clove garlic, minced fine
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you like it hot)
1 tablespoon lime juice

For the salmon:
Four 6-ounce salmon fillets
(or 1 pound salmon, cut into fourths)
kosher or sea salt
freshly ground pepper
lime slices

Line a sheet pan with 2 layers of foil for easy clean up. Spray the top layer with cooking spray or rub lightly with oil.

Combine the bourbon, honey, brown sugar, soy sauce, mustard, ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat, stirring continuously.

Reduce the heat to medium and maintain a steady boil for about 7 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently until it's reduced by about half. At this point, the stuff will be the consistency of good maple syrup -- you know, not as sticky as the cheap "pancake syrup" that comes in figural bottles, but thicker than water. It'll get thicker as it cools, so don't overdo it. (Even if you overdo it, it'll still taste great, so use a spoon to spread it on the salmon when it gets to be time.)

Add the lime juice and whisk to combine. Set aside about half of the mixture to serve with the meal later.

Preheat the oven to broil and put the oven rack in the next-to-top position. (You don't want the salmon RIGHT NEXT to the elements. Moderation, y'all.)

Season the salmon lightly with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper on both sides. Now, at this point, evaluate your salmon. If you have the kind that has the skin on it (my favorite), then you want to put your salmon down on the prepared sheet pan with the skin facing up. That's because you're going to flip it later, and you'll want the salmon to finish cooking with the skin down. Once it's on the tray, slather all that salmon with the honey bourbon goodness on top and the sides. Don't be stingy. Get it good and coated.

Put the pan under the broiler.

Broil the salmon for about 5 minutes. Remove the whole sheet pan from the oven. Carefully lift the top layer of foil from the sheet -- the whole thing, salmon fillets and all -- and oil the next layer of foil in the sheet pan. Transfer the fillets back to the sheet pan, flipping each as you move them over. Generously coat the second side of the salmon with the sauce.

Return the salmon to the broiler for 4 minutes. Watch the salmon now -- you may have to rearrange them in terms of proximity to the broiler and the width and breadth of the fillets to keep them from over-browning. They should be ready after that last four-minute stretch.

(Good rule for the cooking of salmon at high heat, whether in the oven or on the grill: 10 minutes per inch of thickness at the thickest point. You want the salmon to be sort of medium to medium rare.)

Serve the salmon with the reserved glaze and lime wedges, hot buttered rice, and roasted asparagus (or streamed fresh french-style green beans). 

Yes! This is the recipe that started it all. I can't believe how long I had to wait to get through the whole thing! Here's a picture of my very own personal plate on my cruddy stovetop (and I forgot the lime wedge when I snapped the pic):

Let me know if you try this recipe, and if you like it, please. Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A cruddy little kitchen, a lifetime of loving food

I was looking for a recipe. You know, like everyone else every day everywhere in the world, I wanted something tasty for dinner. I had salmon. I had old tried-and-true salmon recipes I've used happily in the past. I just wanted something different. So I Googled "honey bourbon salmon." This is a thing I've seen on menus. Sounds great. I can make that, can't I? I have honey, I have bourbon; I have salmon. I can make this! Then I spent an hour slogging through a half dozen recipe blogs with long stories, beautiful photographs, freestyle poetry singing the praises of farm-raised salmon -- or wild-caught salmon -- or canned salmon -- and all of it took ten to fifteen minutes to load out here in the boonies because all of those popular, beautiful recipe blogs were monetized. Ads flashed. Clickbait beckoned. Video players popped up and disembodied hands cracked eggs into stainless steel bowls. I scrolled down, ever downward, ever onward, trying to get past the homilies a

Lumpy Chicken Salad

Lumpy Chicken Salad 2 to 2.5 cups cooled rotisserie chicken, pulled off the bone and chopped into 1/2" dice 3/4 cup light mayonnaise 3 to 4 Tbsp Dijon mustard 2 to 3 Tbsp light Italian dressing 1/2 cup small diced celery 1/3 cup red grapes halved (quartered if they're very big) 1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped pecans 1/3 cup Honeycrisp apple, peeled and 1/2" diced scant 1/4 cup green onion, greens sliced diagonally Salt & pepper to taste Optional: diced red pepper, dill pickle relish Combine the ingredients, chill for 2-3 hours, serve. Delicious and easy! My friend Erik reminded me today that it's too dang hot to cook in the kitchen right now, and he is absolutely right. When July takes over the Cruddy Little Kitchen, I take the toaster oven outside to the porch for anything that needs to be baked. I run an ugly orange extension cord out there and use electric tape to try to make sure nothing gets electrocuted if a thunderstorm blows the rain sideways toward the toaster ove

Homemade Cranberry Sauce

Cranberry Sauce  12 oz. fresh cranberries, washed and drained 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar 1/4 to 1/3 cup water 1 1/2 cinnamon sticks 1/2 tsp ground allspice 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg The zest and juice of one small-to-medium orange Pick through the cranberries carefully to remove the squishy/bad ones. Rinse and drain. Combine cranberries, sugar, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, and water in a medium pot. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to simmer; cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Add the orange juice and zest, then allow the sauce to cool before serving at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers; sauce will be good for 10-12 days. I never even liked cranberry sauce until I tried this recipe. Neither did my husband. My mother-in-law used to send us searching for an orange cranberry relish at grocery stores all over Knoxville -- I only found it twice, but when I did find it, I bought her three containers of it.  This recipe is so good, I cannot imagine having Thanksgiving witho