Skip to main content

Marinated Asparagus

Marinated Asparagus recipe
1 pound asparagus
1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon vinegar - sherry or red wine
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil

Wash and prep the asparagus by breaking off the woody ends of the stalks. (Annnnnnd discarding the woody ends. Almost forgot that part.) Drain and pat dry. 

Prepare the diced red onion by putting it in the vinegar and lemon juice to begin breaking down.

Steam the asparagus in a steamer or a steaming basket over boiling water for 4 to 7 minutes. Do Not Over Cook. You want the spears to be crisp-tender, not flabby.

Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients: Red onion, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt & pepper, and drizzle in the olive oil while whisking to emulsify the dressing/marinade.

When the asparagus is steamed, put it in a dish that allows it to lay flat -- rectangular, oval, whatever you like. Pour the vinaigrette over the asparagus, and toss gently to coat all the spears from end to end and back again.

Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Take it out and toss it every once in a while so every spear is thoroughly marinated in yummy vinaigrette. Serve the asparagus as it is -- cool -- or return it to room temperature.




This is the asparagus you want to treat like finger food. 

I first had marinated asparagus -- or vinaigrette dressed asparagus -- at Disney World in 1996, and I spent months trying to find a recipe to replicate it. I finally found something to work with in 1998, and I held it close to my heart for years before starting to share it with friends. I mean, other than sharing it with friends by making it and serving it to them. 

I didn't have a proper steamer until 2002, when my father-in-law gave me an Oster steamer for Christmas. The next Thanksgiving, I made this marinated asparagus for him, and he loved it. Loved it! So did his wife (my husband's step-mother), and my sister-in-law, and my nephew, and everyone except my actual mother-in-law, who had forbidden me to bring my famous green beans with horseradish sauce because she was tired of my vegetable dishes stealing the thunder from the turkey. While my in-laws raved, I just thanked my father-in-law for the gift of the steamer, and said I never could have done it without him.

I usually double or triple this recipe, because I usually take it to pot lucks and buffets, holiday gatherings and parties. I took it to an NPR Volunteer Potluck three years in a row, and I have never seen a dish get so clean on a buffet line before. This is one of those recipes that, if you share it, people will start demanding that you bring it.

And it's a good thing that we have a global economy now, and that asparagus is readily available all year long, because if we had to wait until May to have it, we would all be seriously bummed out.

Please let me know where you share this dish, and how much it is beloved when you do. This one can change your life, make you popular, and ruin your mother-in-law's Thanksgiving.  I mean, if that's what you want to do. No judgment here. I'll share the green beans later -- closer to Thanksgiving, probably. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A cruddy little kitchen, a lifetime of loving food

I was looking for a recipe. You know, like everyone else every day everywhere in the world, I wanted something tasty for dinner. I had salmon. I had old tried-and-true salmon recipes I've used happily in the past. I just wanted something different. So I Googled "honey bourbon salmon." This is a thing I've seen on menus. Sounds great. I can make that, can't I? I have honey, I have bourbon; I have salmon. I can make this! Then I spent an hour slogging through a half dozen recipe blogs with long stories, beautiful photographs, freestyle poetry singing the praises of farm-raised salmon -- or wild-caught salmon -- or canned salmon -- and all of it took ten to fifteen minutes to load out here in the boonies because all of those popular, beautiful recipe blogs were monetized. Ads flashed. Clickbait beckoned. Video players popped up and disembodied hands cracked eggs into stainless steel bowls. I scrolled down, ever downward, ever onward, trying to get past the homilies a

Lumpy Chicken Salad

Lumpy Chicken Salad 2 to 2.5 cups cooled rotisserie chicken, pulled off the bone and chopped into 1/2" dice 3/4 cup light mayonnaise 3 to 4 Tbsp Dijon mustard 2 to 3 Tbsp light Italian dressing 1/2 cup small diced celery 1/3 cup red grapes halved (quartered if they're very big) 1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped pecans 1/3 cup Honeycrisp apple, peeled and 1/2" diced scant 1/4 cup green onion, greens sliced diagonally Salt & pepper to taste Optional: diced red pepper, dill pickle relish Combine the ingredients, chill for 2-3 hours, serve. Delicious and easy! My friend Erik reminded me today that it's too dang hot to cook in the kitchen right now, and he is absolutely right. When July takes over the Cruddy Little Kitchen, I take the toaster oven outside to the porch for anything that needs to be baked. I run an ugly orange extension cord out there and use electric tape to try to make sure nothing gets electrocuted if a thunderstorm blows the rain sideways toward the toaster ove

Homemade Cranberry Sauce

Cranberry Sauce  12 oz. fresh cranberries, washed and drained 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar 1/4 to 1/3 cup water 1 1/2 cinnamon sticks 1/2 tsp ground allspice 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg The zest and juice of one small-to-medium orange Pick through the cranberries carefully to remove the squishy/bad ones. Rinse and drain. Combine cranberries, sugar, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, and water in a medium pot. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to simmer; cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Add the orange juice and zest, then allow the sauce to cool before serving at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers; sauce will be good for 10-12 days. I never even liked cranberry sauce until I tried this recipe. Neither did my husband. My mother-in-law used to send us searching for an orange cranberry relish at grocery stores all over Knoxville -- I only found it twice, but when I did find it, I bought her three containers of it.  This recipe is so good, I cannot imagine having Thanksgiving witho